The Latest HR Recruitment Trends in South Africa
South Africa’s largest annual HR Recruitment Trend Survey released its 2018/2019 results in March, showing an important shift in organisational talent acquisition strategies.
HR recruiting strategies now focus on digital transformation, automated software solutions, employer branding and employee diversity.
Attracting and sourcing high-skilled talent remains the top priority for employers, despite the notorious shortage of skills in the country.
Most companies surveyed agree that the company’s positive branding and image appeal can improve the success rates of attracting and employing the best talent in the market.
Online job portals and social media (specifically LinkedIn) remain the preferred digital channels in recruitment, with companies showing increased interest in social media for HR.
The most important change is that recruiters are embracing digital solutions and moving from manual candidate screening and sourcing to recruitment management systems capable of automating and speeding up these tasks.
In particular, companies are investing in AI-enabled HR software and intelligent business solutions to optimise their requisition-to-hire process and cut down recruitment costs.
In a nutshell, the HR survey highlighted the following:
- 93% of organisations believe artificial intelligence (AI) will play an important role in the recruitment process within the next few years
- 59% of businesses view the sourcing of highly-skilled talent as the most important in talent acquisition
- 46% of organisations find a shortage of skills to be their biggest obstacle to attracting the best talent
- 87% of organisations believe employer branding impacts positively on the ability to hire suitable talent
- 80% of organisations rated diversity as being very important in their organisation
- 77% of organisations use social media to recruit candidates (up from 64% last year)
- 78% of recruiters name LinkedIn as their social platform of choice
- 42% of organisations use a recruitment management system
- 71% of organisation prefer to advertise position via job portals as opposed to print media (which scored a low 29%).
The HR Recruitment Trend Survey polled 1 070 HR professionals across the country from various industries and different organisation sizes.
The annual survey, now entering its eighth year, is conducted and released by MCI Consulting, a leading distributor of HR software in South Africa.
Professional Sourcing is a top-tier South African-based recruitment agency operating internationally, IPM accredited, LEVEL 2 BEE RATED and 51% Black-Owned.
Our agency specialises in professional placements (senior and specialist talent) and exclusive skills recruitment to a wide range of industries, including JSE’s top 100 companies, SMEs and the Public Sector.
Our agency specialises in professional placements (senior and specialist talent) and exclusive skills recruitment to a wide range of industries, including JSE’s top 100 companies, SMEs and the Public Sector. -- Patricia Koekemoer