What Skills Do You Need for a Career in Cybersecurity?
To become an expert in cybersecurity you will need some or all of the following certifications and skills.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) for competency in the design, implementation, engineering and management of information security programs.
- Global Information Assurance Certification (GIAC). Certifications are available in several categories including Security Administration, Forensics, Audit, Management, Legal, Software Security and GSE.
- ISACA Certifications are professional certifications available in IT Audit, Security, Governance and Risk.
- CompTIA Security covers essential principles for network security and risk management.
There are also other ‘soft skills’ that are required to work in this field.
- Communication Skills
Cybersecurity professionals must have strong written and verbal communications skills. Jobs in the field require the ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Integrity and Discretion
By its very nature, working in the cybersecurity field requires sensitivity to an organisation’s security vulnerability issues and be able to tackle those issues in a way that engenders trust.
- Programming Skills
A variety of scripts and programming tools are required to design effective security programs and analyse cyber-attacks and breaches. Experience in system and network programming is a must.
- Understanding of Security Principles
An understanding of basic security principles, such as privacy, confidentiality, authentication, access control, and others, results in a greater chance that systems will be less vulnerable to failures and attacks.
- Risk Analysis
Cybersecurity personnel must be able to assess a client’s particular security needs in light of its organisational goals, which requires knowledge of risk analysis principles.
- Malicious Codes
Additionally, cybersecurity professionals need a working knowledge of malicious codes, how they are propagated and the risks associated with each.
- Intruder Techniques
In analysing attacks, personnel should be able to recognise known intruder techniques, their characteristics and effects, and identify new intruder techniques using elimination of known ones.
Professional Sourcing is a top-tier South African-based recruitment agency operating internationally, IPM accredited, LEVEL 2 BEE RATED and 51% Black Owned.
Our agency specialises in professional placements (senior and specialist talent) and exclusive skills recruitment to a wide range of industries, including JSE’s top 100 companies, SMEs and the Public Sector. -- Patricia Jacobs