What Do Recruiters Value in an Audit Job?
Switching careers into auditing is a bold and rewarding move. Aside from dedication, recruiters are usually interested in the following credentials.
The Right Qualification
Are you qualified to become an auditor? The basic requirements include a bachelor’s degree in the field of finance, accounting or business administration.
However, even if you are in possession of a financial degree, most recruiters are looking for specific accounting certifications or qualifications like CA (Chartered Accountant), ACCA (Association of Chartered Certified Accountants), and ACA (the ICAEW Chartered Accountant qualification).
You will also have better chances of landing an auditing job if you have skills and experience in your current career that can be transferred across to the audit field.
Understanding the Auditor’s Role
An auditor is a person appointed or authorised by an organisation to examine accounts and accounting records and ensure the accuracy and validity of such records.
Before you change careers to become an auditor, know what to expect in this important role. An auditor’s responsibilities include any or all of the below tasks:
- Ensure efficient financial reporting
- Manage company’s internal and external risk exposure
- Assess the accuracy and validity of financial data
- Analyse and review products, systems, processes and organisations
- Comply with the latest financial and legal regulations
Companies recruiting auditors usually require from the succesful candidates in-depth knowledge of finances, financial reporting and accounting, and familiarity with the auditing process.
Demonstrate Specific Skills
Personal characteristics important to succeed in the field of auditing include high attention to detail, exceptional communication skills, the ability to conduct presentations effectively, and a thirst for (financial) knowledge.
The checklist below indicates a few essential skills requirements:
- Attention to even the smallest details
- Efficient monitoring and checking of information and financial data for accuracy
- Ability to build rapport with co-workers, co-auditors, clients and management
- Great communication and networking skills
- Ability to continuous learn in the auditing field
- Building knowledge about competitors and key players in the industry
- Keeping updated with industry regulations and standards introduced by accounting regulatory bodies
The above can assist you in deciding if auditing is the next career move for you. As with any career change, always do a thorough research to determine whether auditing is the best use of your talents.
Professional Sourcing is a top-tier South African-based recruitment agency operating internationally, IPM accredited, LEVEL 2 BEE RATED and 51% Black Owned.
Our agency specialises in professional placements (senior and specialist talent) and exclusive skills recruitment to a wide range of industries, including JSE’s top 100 companies, SMEs and the Public Sector.
Our agency specialises in professional placements (senior and specialist talent) and exclusive skills recruitment to a wide range of industries, including JSE’s top 100 companies, SMEs and the Public Sector. -- Patricia Koekemoer